Wednesday, February 22, 2006






Mitch Landrieu announced for mayor this afternoon. Mo and I went down there, I guess because we were invited, probably because we happen to be on the cultural mailing list. We were riverside, and at least 2 coast guard helicopters flew overhead. Okay I like Mitch. He was our daughter's basketball coach; he spoke at her high school graduation and gave her a hug. He seems to be a good person and a natural born politician. His mom and dad were there, Moon the former mayor. Mitch's speech touched the right bases: a moment of silence for the dead of Katrina, a nod to Mayor Nagin thanking him for his work, just so it's nothing personal. Then Mitch stressed his main selling point: he is a politician. Meaning: he knwos how to communicate and work with other politicians. He mentioned the mayor of Baton Rouge, Kip Holden who was there (I didn't see him.) He mentioned Karen Carter and Ann Duplessis, who were there. He didn't mention sister Mary but obviously he can work with her. I expect he can work with Governor Blanco.
Mitch has a broad minded vision for the city, maybe somewhat unbelievable. New Orleans as an axis for culture and commerce, a world class city, with the business sense of Houston and Atlanta but the charm and culture of , well, New Orleans, adding up to a sort of Paris on the Mississippi. Well, probably not but it was a beautiful day in the sky.
Mitch had lots of cute kids holding hand made signs representing different neighborhoods; Mitch believes and lives racial harmony, and I suspect Mitch has good support from old line politicians. That's what worries me a little, but I think of the three major candidates, he's the most likely to succeed politically.
Anyway the guy is just extremely likeable. And did I mention he was my daughter's basketball coach? Posted by Picasa

No comments: